Tuesday, February 26, 2013

10 - Blast to the Past: Game Gear Mar 09, 2011 11:36AM PST


Choosing a favorite game for the Game Gear is kinda tough.  My Game Gear was damaged after lending it out to a friend, and I played only a handful of games before that happened.  My taste for games has been refined over the years, and looking back now it's hard to choose one based on quality.  At the time I thought they were great, but at that age I probably would have been enthralled by any game, even one that featured a dancing turd.  
The game I choose as my favorite Game Gear game is "Sonic the Hedgehog".  It was released during the 2D era when the Sonic brand was ripe and flourishing.  The Game Gear port of its Genesis counterpart lived up to its reputation.  The graphics were sharp and Sonic zipped around just as fast.
Beating Sonic for Game Gear also marked the time when my return policy privilege at Electronics Boutique was revoked.  Back then, a game could be returned and swapped for a different one within ten days, and the store manager caught on to my money-saving strategy of beating a game within a few days and returning it for another one after I beat Sonic.  Ah, the good old days.

No comments:

Post a Comment