Tuesday, February 26, 2013

So I beat "Killzone 3"... Mar 19, 2012 2:41PM PST


A buddy and I just finished Killzone 3 coop-style.  What initially attracted me to the game is its 3D graphics, however, sadly, 3D isn't supported in split screen coop, which makes no sense to me.  Nonetheless, I was just happy to play campagin in coop mode, something I haven't done since playing through Resistence many months ago.
I'm new to the Killzone saga, and I have to admit the story didn't really win me over.  To me, it seemed like a generic space marine war plot featuring a few dedicated soldiers fighting against all odds to save planet Earth.  The visual style of beefed-up soldiers, with their super macho personalities and voiceovers, reminded me of Gears of War.
The story became an afterthough as I settled in to the gameplay.  The controls are tight, and the interface isn't convoluted and complex.  Coupled with the fact that ammo crates are generously offered throughout the journey, and markers that lead you along the path can be visualized by pressing up on the D-pad, I was able to focus on plain ol' shootin' and killin' without worry of much else, and I liked that.
Jetpacks and other equipment help define Killzone's own identity
Killzone 3 offers the standard weapons found in modern day shooters - sniper rifles, rocket launchers, pistols, etc. - but carves it's own identity by offering numerous vehicles and mech suits during different set pieces within the game.  There are tanks, snowmobiles, jetpacks, mini-tank suits, and even space flight combat ala Star Fox sprinkled throughout various chapters of the campaign.
The graphics are pretty sharp and I never experienced any lag.  Come to think of it, I haven't experienced lag in any game in quite a while, if ever on the PS3.  There were times during cutscenes, though, when the graphics seemed to hesitate upon loading which resulted in the dialogue and facial animations to be out of sync.
I enjoyed Killzone 3, but wasn't wowed by it. 

What I liked:
Sharp graphics
Not having to worry about finding ammo or getting lost.
Vehicle set pieces.

What I didn't like:
Generic story
No 3D in split screen.



image links:

Comments (7)


  • cschultziv
  • Good Review

    Posted: Mar 19, 2012 12:00AM PST by  cschultziv
    I played Killzone 3 when it first came out.  One of the things I really liked about it was the Move support.  I have the SharpShooter as well.  It took me a few tries to get it tuned in perfectly, but when I finally did I really enjoyed it. The setup is very precise and easy to use.
    One thing I will say about the SharpShooter Move package is that the bigger the TV the better.  I first tried it on an old 27" tube TV.  It was impossible.  I ended up playing through on a 42" and the size difference made using it much better.  I haven't tried on the new 70" TV yet.  Also, move isn't supported in co-op.
    The cut scenes really bothered me.  I felt there were way too many and they seemed to happen just as the action was getting good.  Also, when in a military setting I want them to act like they're in the military and not just a bunch of clowns.  Show some military bearing, soldier!
    I fully agree with what you had to say about the game.  It struck me just the same way.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • Ah yes, Move.

      Posted: Mar 21, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      Now that you mention it, the game does feel like it was made around the Move experience.  That would explain why it's so straightforward, and I imagine it's a lot of fun that way.
      Flag | Edit | Delete
  • XextralifeX
  • Nice review

    Posted: Mar 20, 2012 12:00AM PST by  XextralifeX
    I have yet to dve into this series. I played the PS2 version maybe half way. I need to go back and finish it so I can move on to part 2 and 3. How's the ending does it ? Does it leave itself open for another game or does it close out the story ?
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • The ending

      Posted: Mar 21, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      Hard to say.  3 is the only one I played, so I was kinda confused throughout the story.  It wasn't really a cliffhanger, but, to me, it didn't really explain anything.  Maybe it would have if I'd played the first 2.
      Flag | Edit | Delete
  • thetruth101
  • I loved Killzone 3

    Posted: Mar 20, 2012 12:00AM PST by  thetruth101
    I played the hell out of it when it came out but as soon as I got through it twice I moved onto the next game in the ol' back catalog. I like that you played it in 3D as that was not even an option for me as I don't have a 3D tv. This review was sharp, concise, and really makes me want to pick up my copy again and throw it into the ol' PS3. My hat's off to you for the refresher.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • I did play some of it in 3D

      Posted: Mar 21, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      I did play a little bit in 3D in one player mode, but, unfortunately, 3D isn't available for split screen coop, which is how my friend and I played through it.  I still enjoyed it in 2D, but would like to have seen the entire game in 3D.  I might go back and play it again, but I have a lot of games right now.
      Flag | Edit | Delete
  • Machocruz
  • Looks like Fear 2 meets Tribes

    Posted: Mar 20, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Machocruz
    The mech interface looks similar to Fear 2.  Jetpacks made the Tribes series a cult classic, and few games have been able to pull it off as well since. May have to try K3 and see if someone else got it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment