Tuesday, February 26, 2013

So I beat "Resistance: Fall of Man"... Is it "Call of War" or "Gears of Duty"? Sep 28, 2011 8:34PM PST


Resistance: Fall of Man
When I bought a PS3 a few months ago. I thought I'd jump into some of Sony's exclusives starting from the beginning.  I already played through God of War 1, 2, & 3, a series I thoroughly enjoyed, so now it was time to try out Resistance.
I wasn't sure what to make of the game at first.  I started the campaign on hard difficulty, as I now do with every game, and found myself dying a lot!  It took me a while just to reach the first checkpoint, and the tension level was ratcheted way up whenever I came upon an enemy.  It was somewhat annoying, but I actually enjoyed the difficulty after playing through other tamer FPS's.  Defensive play was a must.
Resistance looks great for a PS3 launch title, but it seemed a little previous gen.  Player movement felt less authentic than in Halo or Gears of War, and enemy animations seemed a bit choppy.  Also, defensive play is hampered by the exclusion of a solid cover system.  Peeking around a corner to scout the action almost always results in being shot if an enemy is nearby.
My opinion of Resistance improved after I restarted in coop mode with a friend and got deeper into it.  Reviving a downed partner, or allowing them to respawn after 30 seconds, helped ease the difficulty of hard mode.  As new weapons were gathered and the story unfolded, a sense of vague uniqueness began to develop.
With all the FPS's on the market borrowing elements from past and present, it's hard for one to carve out it's own identity.  Resistance incorporates borrowed ideas well, but I thought it never really stood out as a purely unique experience.  Although not feeling like an outright copy, the 1950's war theme looked like Call of Duty, and the alien invasion theme reminded me of Gears of War.  After adjusting the controller configuration to my liking, it also felt very much like Halo.  Perhaps I'd feel differently if I'd played Resistance before them.
The look reminded of Call of Duty
While many of the game's elements seemed par for the course, the few deviations that are there were enough for me to take notice.  I liked how the Auger could shoot through walls, and many of the weapons' secondary features became valuable assets.  I also like those froglike enemies that jumped around on the walls.
I like the story, but I thought it could have been presented better.  Cutscenes are mostly still shots with narrator voice-overs, and all the travelling from place to place between chapters made it feel disjointed.  One moment I'm battling in England, the next I'm in an underground bunker, then back above ground, and, again, underground.  Just where the hell am I?  Although each location looked unique, I eventually lost track of the plot and just knew I had to keep marching forward, killing aliens and saving humanity.
Cutscene from Resistance
The one thing that stood out to me is the game's length.  The campaign is longer than what I've grown accustomed to in modern FPS's, and I kept wondering "Is this the end?".  "Is this the end?"  "This has to be the end!"
Overall, I enjoyed Resistance enough to continue with the series and hope that the sequels patch up the areas I thought could be improved.

What I liked:
 Decent visuals for a launch title.
Long campaign mode.
Original weapon functions like Auger bullets passing through walls and Hailstorm secondary function.

What I didn't like:
Story is poorly delivered, disjointed.
Lacks decisive feel to it.
No cover system.

Comments (3)


  • Xcite79
  • Resistance.

    Posted: Sep 29, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Xcite79
    I played and beat all 3 and have to say that the first Resistance is poor in comparison to the sequels. I find it hard to knock it for not having a cover system. That is rare in FPS titles. Anyway, the second one seemed to big on bosses and loved the co-op gameplay in it. It is creative and very different than the campaign which isn't like most that tack on co-op into the campaign itself. The third one kept things more fresh with different objectives and the cinematic approach was pretty amazing at times. I love how the light shines and it looks really good. It though didn't have the giant bosses like the second title but I enjoyed it. It easily had the best pacing and told a better story. Its cool your playing them back to back.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • Cover System

      Posted: Sep 29, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      I understand your point about the cover system.  Had I not went from Deus Ex to Resistance I might not have missed a cover system so much.  There were some tough battles towards the end that I found frustrating because I couldn't peer around corners without getting blasted all while dogding Auger shots coming through the wall.  I still beat the game, though, so it wasn't that bad.
      Flag | Edit | Delete
  • octoberfleshed
  • Once...

    Posted: Nov 25, 2011 12:00AM PST by  octoberfleshed
    You start playing part two, you'll notice huge improvements in the game.  Resistance 3 is better than both 1 and 2, so I think you'll be impressed when you play those two iterations, they're huge improvements over the first entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment