Tuesday, February 26, 2013

So I beat "Luigi's Mansion"... Because it had to be done.


Luigi's Mansion is a game I played on the GCN and never finished.  Although I liked the game, I got stuck on the Boo Boss battle where you have to pop the big Boo and then freeze and destroy the little Boos, and I eventually gave up.  With Luigi's Mansion 2 around the corner, and the fact that I beat every other Mario Bros. console game, I decided I'd revisit the haunted mansion and do some ghost bustin'.
The main issue I had with the game my first time around was with the C-stick, and that remains true.  The C-stick swivels Luigi's aim left/right, up/down, and I can never seem to rotate horizontally without also changing the vertical angle.  This becomes frustrating during battles against multiple ghosts as it takes pinpoint accuracy to continue vacuuming a ghost while dodging attacks from other ghosts.  My guess is the C-stick itself is the culprit as it's rather small for analog control, but I think the problem could've been avoided if aiming was directed horizontally in a 1:1 ratio like in twin-stick shooters (Robotron, Smash TV, Dead Nation) and perhaps handled the vertical axis with an auto-lock, at least during battles.
Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who's the most handsome Mario Bro. of them all?
The charm of Luigi's Mansion is the experience.  There's no other game like it, and it's better than any Ghostbusters game I ever played.  The 30 main ghosts are each unique in both appearance and tact.  Some are immediately visable, some require some sleuthing to sniff out.  The same can be said for the various rooms within the mansion.  Each is it's own puzzle that must be conquered in order to progress, some trickier than others.
My second time around went much smoother and I was able to beat it within a day.  That's shorter than I'd like a game to last, but I had previous experience on my side, and I still enjoyed my time.  It's the first GCN game I've played since owning a Wii, and I'm impressed by how the presentation holds up almost 10 years later.  I look forward to Luigi's Mansion 2 with anticipation, and wonder if it'll use the 3DS analog stick attachment.  I don't know how Nintendo could pull this game off without it.

What I liked:
Unique experience.
Presentation holds up after 10 years.
Getting it off my backlog.

What I didn't like:
C-stick analog isn't as accurate as I'd like.
Kinda short.
Capturing a mobile Boo that goes back and forth to the same room become overly repetitive .

image links:

Comments (1)


  • Tommo2304
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 anybody?

    Posted: Jan 04, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Tommo2304
    Great review, absolutely loved this game. It was the first game I ever got on GCN and it'll always be one of my favourites (along with Super Smash Bros Melee and Super Mario Sunshine). Luigi's Mansion 2 should be brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment