Tuesday, February 26, 2013

5 - iPods Mar 03, 2011 7:08PM PST


For two months I've been the proud owner of an iPod Touch.  It's a first generation 8G model.  I bought it second hand, it has a few dings and scratches, and it fills my mp3 playing needs just fine.
I'm impressed at what this little handheld device can do.  It's basically a mini computer that fits in your pocket.  What features it lacked were easily added when I successfully jailbroke it on the first day of ownership.  
With the jailbreak, I can use my iPod as a portable flash drive.  It's not as convenient as a typical flash drive.  I can't simply plug it into a USB port and transfer files.  It requires the use of a file transfer protocal program that actually transfers files back and forth from the iPod over wireless internet.  
Also, the iPod can now display pdf files.  This means I can download an ebook, transfer it to my iPod using an FTP program, and read at my discretion.  
Of course, no jailbroken iPod owned by a gamer would be complete without a videogame emulator.  I tried out a few emulators, and the ones that work the best are the NES, Genesis and Gameboy emulators.
Even without these features, the iPod still plenty of value with it's Apple OS limitations.  There's tons of free apps to satisfy most entertainment needs.  Personally, I enjoy the podcasts.  I listen to them more than anything else.
The verdict on whether or not jailbreaking an iPod effects it's stability is still in question.  I've noticed a couple of glitches with some programs, mainly opening an app and having it fail to boot.  Today, while trying to open a podcast, it glitched pretty bad.  I was able to open the podcast after retries and some lag, but my mp3's were nowhere to be found.  Was it due to the jailbreak?  I can't say for sure.  
In any event, I'm glad I bought the iPod and will be using it regularly for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment