Tuesday, February 26, 2013

So I beat "Red Dead Redemption"... Too much game to fit into one blog.


A clipping from the "The Blackwater Ledger", dated 1911, was recently discovered at a newly established oil drilling site in southern Texas.  It reads as follows:
"The Mysterious Disappearance of John Marston"
Residents of New Austin are perplexed by the sudden disappearance of their favorite outlaw gunslinger, Mr. John Marston.  
Marston was reknown around New Austin for his random good deeds, exceptional gun dueling skill, keen sense of fashion, and had become quite popular among townsfolk in the weeks leading up to his disappearance.
"Mr. Marston was a good worker that knew his way around a stable", reminisces Bonnie McFarlane, daughter of Drew McFarlane of McFarlane Ranch.  "He had this uncanny knack of bein' in the right place at the right time to lend a helpin' hand around the farm.
"I grew to like him as a brother, even though... " McFarlane pauses, "well, he had some peculiarities about him.
"One time, while he was helpin' me stop my startled herd of cattle from runnin' over a cliff, I watched him fall off the cliff and die.  Then, 5 minutes later, he was back at my doorstep to help me do it all over again!
"Another time, late at night, I watched him sneak out, shoot his own horse in the head, and skin it right in front of a group sittin' 'round the campfire.  And there were many times he'd point his gun at me just to see how I'd react.
"Even though he may be a bit 'funny"", McFarlane admits, "I still trusted the man with my life."
Tobias Finkelstein, resident and frequent poker player at Thieves Landing, shares a darker side of Marston.
"One day, me and my boys was playin' some cards, and wouldn't ya know, sure as shootin', Mr. Marston joined us at the table", Finkelstein recalls.
"He was a funny one, that Marston.  On the very first hand, one of my buddies caught him cheatin' and challenged him to a gun fightin' duel out front.  Marston won the duel, came back to the table, and bought in again like nothin' ever happened!  And wouldn't ya know, he was caught cheatin' again on the very next hand!
"He kept doin' that 'til I was the last one left sittin' at the table, but I knew better.  I just got up and ran, sure as shootin'!"
When asked why he thought Marston engaged in such murderous behavior, Finkelstein claims, "I can't reckon for sure, but I did hear him mention somethin' 'bout a 'fame meter' and a 'platinum trophy'."
After weeks of disappearance, Marston is believed to be dead, survived by his wife, Abigail, and son, Jack, who are rumored to be on the lam.  Citizens with information pertaining to his family's possible whereabouts are urged to immediately contact their local sheriff.

What I liked:
Immersive, beautifully detailed sandbox environment.
Plethera of side jobs, games and challenges to keep occupied with between story missions.
Lengthy story that keeps going just when you think you're at the end.

What I didn't like:
Mistakingly commiting a crime while fending of wild animals (by shooting someone or their property on accident).
Would've preferred a simpler save method than having to camp or rest in an apartment and lose hours in a day each time.
Having to redundantly pick flowers and hunt animals I'd already gathered in order to accomplish "Survivalist" and "Master Hunter" challenges.

Comments (4)


  • jgusw
  • RDD

    Posted: Jun 29, 2011 12:00AM PST by  jgusw
    Yeah, I agree with what you didn't like. 
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • sharkman123
  • RDD...

    Posted: Jun 29, 2011 12:00AM PST by  sharkman123
    Played long after the story was completed! I agree with your dislikes..and can add one.  The multiplayer never seemed to take off on the ps3.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • Xcite79
  • Awesome Game.

    Posted: Jun 29, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Xcite79
    I had the DLC for Undead Nightmare for the longest. I really should jump back in and play it. I loved Red Dead Redemption. Its my favorite sandbox game.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • MetalArcade
  • Awesome!

    Posted: Jun 30, 2011 12:00AM PST by  MetalArcade
    Recently beat this game, I absolutely loved every second of it. Marston is one of the best characters ever, I would love to see a sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment