Tuesday, February 26, 2013

So I beat "Donkey Kong Country Returns"... Nintendo's still the master of side-scrolling platformers Sep 01, 2011 8:14PM PST


Being the Nintendo fanboy that I am, it was just a matter of time before I got my hands on DKCR.  I wasn't disappointed.
Like "New Super Mario Bros. Wii" before it, DKCR revisits the classic platformer style of the 8-, 16-bit era and feels like a proper sequel to the series.  Many of DKC's recognizable trademarks make a return - Diddy Kong, Cranky Kong, Rambi, bananas, 1up ballons, K-O-N-G pieces - with the additon of hidden puzzle pieces strewn about each stage that unlock gallery images, and banana coins that can be spent on items in Cranky's Shop.
The game adds some depth and challenge to it by rewarding players that collect all of the K-O-N-G pieces with an unlockable, difficult "Temple" stage in each level.  There were stages that could have been easily breezed through if I wasn't dedicated to collecting K-O-N-G the first time around.
I played through the first few levels cooperatively with a friend, and finished the game alone from level 4 to the end.  Coop is enjoyable, but it slows the game down, especially in the later harder levels where it's much easier and safer to maneuver around alone with Diddy Kong on your back.
The game would have been more challenging (or annoying) for me if not for the generous amount of 1ups that are earned by finding 1up balloons, collecting 100 bananas, landing 8 or more consecutive jump attacks on enemies without touching the ground, and purchasing them in Cranky's shop.  Playing through the tough temple stage in level 1 numerous times alone netted me hundreds of coins and dozens of 1ups, and it was clear sailing for me after that.  I eventually maxed out 99 lives and 999 coins, never dipping below 65 lives or 900 coins, and finished the game without continuing or 1up grinding.
The presentation of the game is top notch.  Much of the BGM and sound effects are ripped straight from the original, while the graphics are sharp and colorful.  An extra level of tension is created at well-timed segments in the form of explosions, rocks crumbling, and faster music tempo.  I especially enjoyed the silhouette levels that were mostly foreground shadows with all of the color reserved for the background and DK's tie.
I thought the difficulty progressed well from beginning to end.  The very last unlockable stage, "The Golden Temple", marked the climax well with precision-based jumps over a bottomless landscape.  I cursed in frustration at some stages that had unavoidable cheap deaths, but that's the nature of side-scrolling platformers.  There's only so many ways to add difficulty.
There's plenty of replay value to be had in time trial mode and other forms that I won't spoil here.  
I thoroughly enjoyed DKCR and eagerly await the next gaming gem Nintendo has to deliver.
What I liked:
Classic DKC elements, audio and visuals rendered in high quality.
Some of the stages are well conceived and challenging.
Combining Donkey and Diddy as one entity in 1-player mode.

What I didn't like:
Those annoying mine cart levels.
That it had to end.

Comments (3)


  • JabezDawz
  • Nice dude

    Posted: Sep 02, 2011 12:00AM PST by  JabezDawz
    I had originally just played the first couple of levels because I borrowed the game from a friend. So i take it is worth finishing.

    Also congrats on not continuing. The game is supposed to be hella hard so great job.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • Thanks

      Posted: Sep 02, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      The copious amount of 1ups I earned on the level 1 temple stage really helped me.
      Flag | Edit | Delete
  • BrokenH
  • Dave

    Posted: Sep 02, 2011 12:00AM PST by  BrokenH
    Played the first Donkey Kong Kountry games by RARE on the snes and they were pretty darned fun. Maybe not my favorite titles ever but as far as platformers go I think they are an exemplemary example of the genre done right!

No comments:

Post a Comment