Tuesday, February 26, 2013

So I beat "House of the Dead: Overkill"... Good, but not the best of the series Apr 28, 2011 5:43AM PST


After trading in a bunch of games at Gamestop last week and purchasing "Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars", I had a remaining balance and used it towards the purchase of the most interesting cheap game I could find, that being HotD:O for the Wii.  I've been a fan of HotD since HotD2, played HotD3, and thought I'd give Overkill a try.
Graphically, the game is subpar to today's standards.  It looks worse than HotD3, so it was a step backwards in that regard.  Being the lightgun shooter that it is, the gameplay runs flawlessly on the Wii, which is a plus.  The audio was also spot on, and I like one of the game's songs so much that I might try and find it on the internet for download.
Overkill is your basic HotD lightgun rail shooter, but with a twist.  This time the story is presented like that of a B-rate horror flick.  It markets itself as a triple X title, which is more shock value than anything else.  While there is liberal profanity and sexual themes strewn throughout the dialog, the only nudity to be found is in the form of the final boss's huge floppy tits.  I found the entire package to be hilarious, which I assume is what the devs were aiming for.
A buddy and I played through Overkill's Story Mode and Director's Cut in about 7 hours, essentially beating the game in one sitting.  Story Mode is basically the entire game on easy difficulty, while Director's Cut is the game on hard.  Director's Cut offered more zombies to kill and a few alternate paths, but I thought it should have offered a little more content., like added cutscenes, or at least one new level.
I had fun with Overkill, but would have been disappointed had I paid full price.  It's not the best entry in the series, but fans should check it out.  It can be beaten in one day and is at least worth renting.
What I liked:
Profane dialog.  Think Samuel L. Jackson from Pulp Fiction.
The incest dynamic between the eventual lead antagonist and his mother near the end of the game.  Kind of shocking to see that in a video game, even if it's tongue in cheek.
Straightforward gameplay.  No need for tutorials.

What I didn't like:
The graphics could have been better.
The plot was so different than other HotD's that it felt like the HotD brand was tacked on to help sell the game.
Lack of content.  

Comments (5)


  • cly5000
  • I've..

    Posted: Apr 28, 2011 12:00AM PST by  cly5000
    Been trying to keep an eye out for this game. I loved the old one's back in the arcade days!
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • darkninja0157
  • Fun Co-op

    Posted: Apr 28, 2011 12:00AM PST by  darkninja0157
    HotD Overkill is definitely a fun game to play through with a buddy.  I also beat the game and thought it was over the top funny.  100% agree that it really lacked in extra content.  After beating it I don't see myself going back to play it again.  Maybe replay it again with a friend, but won't play through by myself.  If some great bonus content was unlocked after game completion I would have played the game longer.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • DTJAAAAM
  • Overkill

    Posted: Apr 28, 2011 12:00AM PST by  DTJAAAAM
    It was one of my favorite Wii games during the year it was released, but I did kind of miss the more "serious" setting of the main HotD.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • BrokenH
  • Ah the classics!

    Posted: Apr 28, 2011 12:00AM PST by  BrokenH
    Personally I love rail shooters. It started with house of the dead and Carnevil in the arcades and grew from there! If I get a wii RE: Dark side chronicles and this will likely be on my radar.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • Darkside was good

      Posted: Apr 28, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      , but I highly recommend Umbrella, if you haven't already played it.

No comments:

Post a Comment