Tuesday, February 26, 2013

So I beat "Resident Evil: Revelations"... Same RE formula, same good time! Feb 15, 2012 7:20PM PST


My ideas in this blog could be expressed in one sentence: Revelations is as good as any other Resident Evil.  If you're a regular to the series and own a 3DS, picking up this game makes sense.  If you own a 3DS and are not familair with Resident Evil, I recommend it as one of the best games available for the system.
There isn't very much to say without giving any spoilers.  Reminiscent of the "Code: Veronica" side-quest, Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield are the protagonists, with a couple other partners and playable characters sprinkled in at various plot points.  This time around the enemy is a terrorist orginization known as "Veltro", and instead of working for S.T.A.R.S, you work for the FBC (Federal Bioterrorism Commision), a subsidiary of the BSAA (Bioterrorism Security Assessment Alliance).
SS Queen Zenobia is the destination, although other locales are also explored
The production value is top notch.  It's by far the best looking 3DS game I've played.  At first, I wondered why the interior of a cruise ship looked so similar to the mansions of RE's past, then it was explained later in the game via one of the many journals and notebooks found in classic RE fashion.  
The game easily stands alone as it's own adventure.  Apparently, it takes place between RE4 and RE5. The only connection I could make between this game and the main RE's is the BSAA connection, but at the end is an epilogue that hints to a sequel, or maybe helps set the stage for RE6.  Only time will tell.
One complaint I have is that I was forced to play on normal mode as hard mode isn't unlocked until the game's first completion.  This made the game fairly easy to beat, and seems like a forced move to add replay value.  I think that was unnecessary, as Raid Mode is enticing enough to add hours of replay value to the game.  I managed to play Raid Mode with a friend in multiplayer coop, and it's pretty solid, but it had me longing for a way to play coop in actual campaign mode.  Also, the lack of voice chat and any other means to communicate during online play is a huge absence that hinders the experience, and, quite frankly, makes no sense considering the 3DS has a mic built into it.
On a side note, I'd like to add more friends to my 3DS account.  So far I have 10, and they are all members of 1up.  If you'd like, please add me (4296-2977-7518), and leave your code so I can add you.  Thanks!

What I liked:
Detailed graphics.
Interesting, albeit somewhat predictable story.
Many classic staples of the RE franchise (that I didn't share to avoid spoilers) are included.

What I didn't like:
Hard mode isn't immediately available.
No way to communicate during online mode.

image links:

Comments (5)


  • BrokenH
  • Dave

    Posted: Feb 15, 2012 12:00AM PST by  BrokenH
    Revelations seems great and I hope RE 6 measures up nicely next to it. I think "raid-mode" comes off as little more fun than mercenaries mode from the way people describe it.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • it's OK

      Posted: Feb 16, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      Yeah, it's pretty much the same.  Lack of communication in online mode kinda kills it, though.
      Flag | Edit | Delete
  • XextralifeX
  • Wow

    Posted: Feb 16, 2012 12:00AM PST by  XextralifeX
    That was quick. I'm not really a Resident Evil fan but might check this one out when it goes down in price.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • yeah.

      Posted: Feb 16, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      I got sucked in at about the halfway point and couldn't put the game down.  Not trying to toot my horn, but it might have taken longer if it was a little harder.  I died only a few times throughout the entire game.
      Flag | Edit | Delete
  • gamecollector912
  • Awesome!

    Posted: Feb 19, 2012 12:00AM PST by  gamecollector912
    I have only played the demo so far and can't wait to be able to purchase the game.  Money has been tight but hopefully I can get this and Super Mario 3D land soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment