Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Props to Nintendo's Repair Service Warranties FTW Mar 02, 2012 7:50PM PST


A few weeks ago I noticed that the right speaker in my 3DS wasn't working properly.  Basically, it wasn't loud enough and sounded muffled.  I didn't notice it until I played RE: Revelations.  I could hear NPC's speak when they were on my left, but not on my right.  For all I know, it could have been broken since day 1 and I never noticed it until then.
At any rate, being a launch day 3DS owner, I knew I had to act fast and get it repaired before the 12-month warranty expired.  Well, not too fast.  First I had to beat RE:R.  The very next day after beating it, though, I went to Nintendo.com and filed for a repair.  I shipped the 3DS and, 10 business days later, received it today.  Thankfully, they were able to fix it and it sounds great, all costs covered by Nintendo.
Although I missed my 3DS while it was gone, I never had a worry.  This wasn't my first rodeo with Nintendo's repair service.  A couple years ago I needed my Wii serviced as the laser could no longer read dual-density discs (i.e. "Super Smash Bros. Brawl").  In that case, I thought for sure my warranty had expired and was extremely grateful to learn that it had not.  Sure enough, I sent my Wii, received it, popped in SSBB, and played through story mode coop style, very thankful to Nintendo for giving the game new life.
Warranties are nothing new, and I am merely flexing my law-provided privilege as the registered purchaser of said products, but it's nice to know that a company will take care of you in your time of need.  The same can't be said for the experience I had with my first Xbox 360.  Seemingly like clockwork, the 360's disc drive began to fail just after the warranty had expired.  Sure enough, if I ever wanted to put another disc in the system, I had to pay $100.  Yet, had my dilemma been something worse, like the RROD which was running rampant at the time, it would have been covered due to Microsoft's extended warranty PR move to try and cover their ass for rushing a shoddy product to market.  IMO, if some malfunctions are covered in a warranty extension, then everything should be covered.  The damage was not a result of my actions.  I didn't drop the 360, bang it, pee on it, or try and shove a sandwich in it.  The disc drive just stopped opening.
I eventually sold the 360 toward the purchase of a PS3.  It had nothing to do with my experience with their warranty, I just wanted a controller with a decent D-pad for playing Mortal Kombat.  But after thinking about the experiences I had with warranties and comparing them, I'm doubtful that I'll ever buy another Microsoft-made console.  Even after all these years I still feel slighted by Microsoft, and I'm hesitant to give them any more of my money.

Comments (15)


  • Funkymonkey_777
  • I feel slighted

    Posted: Mar 02, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Funkymonkey_777
    everytime I have to use Internet Explorer.  I've probably seen that Error Report:  Send?  Don't send? pop up like 6000 times. 
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • Good ol' IE

      Posted: Mar 03, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      IE was ahead of the curve when the internet was young.  It eventually got bogged down and surpassed by faster free browsers.  I use Google Chrome and love how minimalistic it is.  I also can't stand how I have to go through a brand new Windows PC and disable all the crap they put on there.
      Flag | Edit | Delete
    • San_Andreas
    • Bloatware....

      Posted: Mar 04, 2012 12:00AM PST by  San_Andreas
      ....That's actually more the fault of the computer manufacturer than Microsoft. The companies that make the bloatware pay the OEM to have it on the computer, and it's supposed to make it cheaper. The seller can usually give you a "clean" install of Windows, although it might cost money. If you build your own PC, you can just install a clean copy of Windows on it, bloatware-free. That doesn't help me much, because I never buy desktops anymore, I'm laptop-only. My Sony VAIO didn't come with a lot of bloatware, though, and runs like a song.
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • I wasn't aware of that.

      Posted: Mar 04, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      If it makes PC's cheaper, then I guess it's okay.  It'd be nice if some of the software was easier to remove, though.
      Flag | Edit | Delete
  • San_Andreas
  • Yeah....

    Posted: Mar 03, 2012 12:00AM PST by  San_Andreas
    ....I feel you on the Microsoft thing. I lost my first 360, a bit over a year after I got it, to an error that was not covered at the time by the 3-year warranty (it would be in 6 months, but that didn't help me a bit) and that was the beginning of the end of the Xbox line for me. Not to mention talking to MS was a nightmare in itself, as I never got to talk to anyone that wasn't either a computer or an Indian with limited English proficiency. I hopped on the PS3 bandwagon after that.
    I can't say anything about Nintendo's repair service, because I've never used it. I've never had to. Nothing Nintendo I've owned has ever broken.
    Sony... when my PS3, five years old at the time, died from the YLOD, it took a little more than a week to get it resolved. I had the shipping crate in 2 days. Dropped my PS3 off at Fedex on Sunday. Come Friday, I had a refurbished PS3 unit of the same model (one of the original 60GB models with native PS2 compatibility) back and hooked up, looking like brand new and working perfectly. I'd have had it a couple of days sooner if Fedex hadn't been so inconpetent in finding my house 20 miles away from its shipping hub. I've heard mixed opinions on Sony's repair service, but I'm really happy with them. Plus, I never had to talk to a computer or someone in India. All live American customer service reps. I only wish they'd switch to the United States Postal Service for shipping.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • Glad to read it

      Posted: Mar 03, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      I'm glad Sony took care of you, and I'm not surprised to learn about your experience with the 360.  Everyone I know who was an early adopter had an issue with it - disc drives, RROD, overheating, you name it.  Hopefully, Sony and Nintendo will step up and offer an online service comparable to XboxLive next generation, because that's the only advatage Microsoft has, IMO.
      Flag | Edit | Delete
    • cschultziv
    • Sony Warranty Repair

      Posted: Mar 03, 2012 12:00AM PST by  cschultziv
      I bought my PS3 in February 2011 and in January 2012 the Blu-Ray drive stopped working and the USB ports ceased to function.  It didn't take Sony any time at all to repair it.  I was very happy with their service.  We actually called twice.  The first time the disc drive started making noises and they walked us through some steps that seemed to fix it.  Shortly after that it completely failed.  The lady we talked to was very polite and helped us out, no sweat.  Since then I purchased another two years of service from them.
    • San_Andreas
    • I will say....

      Posted: Mar 04, 2012 12:00AM PST by  San_Andreas
      ...that Sony's done pretty well in build quality for both the PS3 and PSP. The PSP is a lot sturdier than it looks, and the PS3 has a better build quality than some Nintendo systems, which is really saying something given Nintendo's record for hardware quality.
      PSN has closed most of the gap with Xbox Live for being a free service vs. a subscription. In my area, PSN has much better connection strength than Live, and the only feature Live has that I want on PSN is x-game voice chat so I can talk to my friends while I play RPGs and old PS1/PS2 games. There's no justification for me to pay for Live anymore even if it is only 2.50 a month with a discounted 12-month card. At the same time, I don't grudge anyone for liking Xbox Live. I liked it a lot when I first used it.
      If they keep doing this with the PS4 and launch it with a reasonable price, I will buy one at launch.
  • BrokenH
  • David

    Posted: Mar 04, 2012 12:00AM PST by  BrokenH
    Nintendo seems to have "love" and "pride" for what they do so I'm not surprised your 3DS came back super nice! I just hope Miyamoto's spirit lingers long after he retires.
    By the way, I read really good things about RE: Revelations. As a fan I'm a little jealous of you right now. lol.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • Super nice is right!

      Posted: Mar 04, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      They fixed it and gave it a wipe-down.  I agree @ the spirit of Miyamoto.  I can't help but wonder if his children will follow in his path.  RE:R will probably be ported to other systems once the exclusivity deal expires.  It's too good of a game for it not to be.
      Flag | Edit | Delete
  • XextralifeX
  • I wonder

    Posted: Mar 04, 2012 12:00AM PST by  XextralifeX
    if they repair screens because I just noticed recently the marks of the bottom screen and circle pad. on the top screen. It dose not effect gameplay but it's kind of annoying.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • That happened to me, too

      Posted: Mar 04, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      In my case it wasn't permanent.  A little dab of rubbing alcohol and a careful swipe took care of it for me.  If you're having trouble with it, check Nintnedo's website.  It's pretty convenient for troubleshooting.
      Flag | Edit | Delete
  • GabeRenegade
  • I totally agree with you...

    Posted: Mar 05, 2012 12:00AM PST by  GabeRenegade
     "I didn't drop the 360, bang it, pee on it, or try and shove a sandwich in it." I LOLED AT THIS!! LMFAO!!
    Well I had a similar story happen to me.  I had a 360, and it was working PERFECTLY...LIKE OMG..for a few years, then all of a sudden HOLY SHIT BALLS....RROD...WTF? Ok, so what if I played it a lot.  A product for video games should be designed to take a beating.  So my warranty expired and I was fucked, but I didn't wanna pay for it...so I waited and bought a ps3 meanwhile.  Several months later I got bored, and paid the $100, and that "refurbished model" they gave me worked ok.  But guess what? I got tired of paying for xbox live.  Why the hell should I pay 10-15 bucks a month when I can get that crap for free on PSN.  The exclusives they have are garbage anyhow. The only thing that's making 360 survive is Halo...and even Halo is becoming meh, bullcrap.  So i traded in my 360 for a wii.  Now i have a ps3 and a wii <--best combo ever.... <3 <3 Wii!!! CoolTongue out 

No comments:

Post a Comment