Tuesday, February 26, 2013

"Mario Kart 7" first impression. My inaugural 50cc run. Dec 04, 2011 7:04AM PST


(Potential spoilers are in white font.  Highlight to make them visible)
Before I get started on the game, I have a quick statement for anyone who bought a DSi after the launch of the 3DS:  What were you thinking?  The only possible reason I can think of is that the DSi store has different downloadables.  The cost, to me, is a moot point, especially after the price drop.  Other than that, all DS cart games are playable on 3DS and the 3DS game graphics are so much better!  Shame on you!
Anyway, I went down to Wal-Mart at 1:00 a.m. and picked up a copy of MK7.  After a few hours of sleep I woke up and took my inaugural 50cc run of all 32 tracks.  Any veteran of MK should be able to breeze through 50cc and get gold every time.  I managed 1st place on every track, although Koopa Troopa gave me a run for my money on Rainbow Road.
The game is pretty much what you'd expect from MK at this point: colorful graphics, playful jingles, tight control.  Since I ran through on 50cc I really can't say much about the new tracks and AI.  There are some tracks I like more than others.  I just can't give an honest assessment when I spent about 95% of my time in front of AI that was giving me little challenge in 50cc.  I wasn't even able to try the new "7" powerup because of that.  I won't experience the full pallette of the game until I reach 150cc... after blazing through 100cc, of course!
Here's what I can say, though:  The graphics are sweet!  It's like playing a palm-sized Wii.  And even though I wasn't really challenged in 50cc, the new gliding feature added some pizazz which may lead to some shortcuts in faster modes.  The underwater aspect is kinda neat, but doesn't add much (as far as I can tell right now) other than making large water hazards from retro tracks accessible to drive through.  Also, I noticed that I only got hit once with a blue shell on each track, but squid ink to the eyes is on the rise.
At any rate, I'm enjoying the game, seeking challengers, and will be joining the 1up online lobbies this Monday to see how I stack up.  Here's my 3DS code for those looking to swap rubber: 
4296-2977-7518.  Don't forget to leave me your code in the comments section!
Favorite New Track (visually): Neo Bowser City
Favorite New Track (design): Rock Rock Mountain
Strangest New Concept: Underwater Powersliding
Favorite New Concept: Splitting longer tracks into segments instead of full laps.
Nerfed Beyond Recognition: GCN Daisy Cruiser
Noticeably Absent: The last moving car obstacle at the end of Coconut Mall.  Why?
Woo Hoo: I sword-faught there (Wii Sports Resort), jogged there (Wii Fit Plus), flown around it (Pilotwings Resort), and now I've kart raced there.  I guess it's just a matter of time before I live there (Wuhu Island).
Welcome Back: N64 Luigi Raceway, Wii Mushroom Gorge, DS Luigi's Mansion, N64 Koopa Beach, Wii Coconut Mall, N64 Kalimari Desert, Wii Maple Treeway, Wii Koopa Cape, GCN Dino Dino Jungle
Goodbye: 2D!  Well, almost... there are 3 2D retro tracks (2 SNES, 1 GBA).  Revisiting those tracks in previous MK's was a novel concept, but at this point they feel primitive, easy, out of place, and, IMO, lazily tacked on.  Those are 3 tracks that could have been reserved for prettier GCN, DS or Wii track remakes.  Hopefully this is the last MK that features 2D tracks.
Good Riddance: Bikes.  Oh how I hated thee...

Comments (4)


  • BrokenH
  • Dave

    Posted: Dec 04, 2011 12:00AM PST by  BrokenH
    Mario kart was one of the few racing games I enjoyed. Beyond it there was F-zero & Twisted Metal. I guess I'm bigger into ridiculous racing games with an interesting twist and some kind of combat involved.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • I hear you

      Posted: Dec 04, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      I'm the same way.  Racing sims don't really appeal to me.  I like the all out craziness of a good battling racer.
      Flag | Edit | Delete
  • drmcst
  • Friend code

    Posted: Dec 04, 2011 12:00AM PST by  drmcst
    I picked the game up today too and added you as a friend. My code is: 2105-8651-8608 Looking forward to some racing action!
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • wakey1210
  • Good Starter Community

    Posted: Dec 06, 2011 12:00AM PST by  wakey1210
    Join this community for honest Mario Kart 7 racing: 27-4190-7152-7385
    Thanks 

No comments:

Post a Comment