Tuesday, February 26, 2013

11 - Blast to the Past: SNES Mar 09, 2011 11:25PM PST


The SNES era marks a time when competition in the console gaming market really started heating up.  Nintendo was losing its monopolistic grip on the market to Sega, and started to churn out some stellar software, proving they are the masters of gaming reality.
There are a lot of top notch games to choose from, and picking just one seems like an injustice to the SNES, but for the sake of limitation I will choose one and only one.  That game is...  "Final Fantasy III".
FF3 had me hooked from the very beginning.  Its cinematic intro was like nothing I had seen up to that point.  It seemlessly introduced characters into the plot, an epic story that set the bar for all RPGs to follow.  It made Lufia and Breath of Fire seem like child's play.
Each character had unique abilities.  Gathering Espers made level grinding worthwhile.  And there were so many memorable locations.  The intro with the Mechs.  The episode with the train.  The final boss battle that was 3 levels high.  And those summon (call) spells were pretty sweet.
The SNES's strength was RPG's, and so I will give a hearty nod to the game that came in close second as my favorite game: "The Secret of Mana".  Great music.  Great visuals.  Great game.
I also want to point out here that although I played through many a Genesis game, I never actually owned a Genesis, so there will be no blog about my favorite Genesis game.  However, I feel that that console deserves a shout out, so here is my favorite game for Genesis: "NHL '93"

Comments (1)


  • BrokenH
  • A topic close to my heart...Yes I have one!

    Posted: Mar 10, 2011 12:00AM PST by  BrokenH
    The SNES was a similar golden era along with the PS2 for any rpg fan. ChronoTrigger,Secret of mana, FF4 & 6, and Secret of Evermore rank as my favs on that console. The Lufia games were not too shabby either.

No comments:

Post a Comment