Tuesday, February 26, 2013

17 - Blast to the Past: GameCube Mar 18, 2011 12:17AM PST


When looking at the N64, one can determine that its engineers spent some time developing a design of exquisite authenticity, like a Jaguar or Mercedes automobile.  With the Gamecube, they did a complete 180 and designed it in the shape of a square, with a completely unnecessary carrying handle on the back.  I once used the handle when carrying the 'Cube from my bedroom to the living room, just to satisfy the novelty.
The GameCube can be credited for introducing the first truly reliable wireless controller to the market: the Wavebird.  After trying out a Wavebird for the first time, I immediately went and replaced all of my wired controllers.
Nintendo's marquis franchises had a mixed showing on the 'Cube.  Zelda, Metroid and F-Zero faired pretty well while Mario and Star Fox took a step backwards.  I give Nintendo credit or experimenting with the formula, though.  Just don't do it again!
Resident Evil 4 made a grand appearence on the 'Cube late in it's cycle, and there are many reasons why I want to choose this game as my favorite.  The graphics are gorgeous.  It's tank control mechanics were revamped into an over-the-shoulder shooter style of game, an improvement in my opinion.  However, it's one of Nintendo's franchises, albeit tweaked, that I played more and had more fun with than any other: Mario Kart: Double Dash!!.
My buddy, Jeff, and I played MK:DD relentlessly.  It established the truest, deepest rivalry I ever experienced with another gamer.  I would choose the Toadstools, he the Koopas, and race All-Cup matches for hours.  We had our own special rules that we applied, and I retired as champion numerous times to take up the challenge and defend my crown once again.  
In my opinion, MK:DD is the last great Mario Kart.  What's with the bikes in MK Wii, Miyamoto?  The game is balanced to favor bikes, and it completely killed my enthusiasm for that game.  If I want to play a bike racer, I'd play Excite Bike.  I hope Nintendo corrects this travesty in the next installment.

Comments (1)


  • dGeNeratOr
  • The Cube

    Posted: Mar 18, 2011 12:00AM PST by  dGeNeratOr
    I love that thing and know exactly what your talking about with double dash. The only game i've had more fun playing multiplayer with is toadstool tour. Buy that and a lot of beer and you and your friends will hate each other for hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment