Tuesday, February 26, 2013

3DS' 1-year Anniversary Mar 28, 2012 8:23PM PST


Nintendo celebrated 3DS' first anniversary in USA by sending out a Reggie Fils-Aime Mii to those 3DS owners of us connected to the web.  He's a level 5 beast in "Find Mii', dishing out a whopping 5 hit points of damage with each blow.  I'm curious what folks from other regions received, if anything.
At any rate, I thought I'd take a moment and reflect on my first year with the system.  I'm a launch day owner, which makes it a true anniversary for me.  I used the 3DS a lot for the first month, playing through "Pilotwings Resort" and "Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars".  After that, I went through a 5-month lull in which I didn't even touch it.  I was okay with that, though, because I also bought a PS3 around that time and spent a lot of time playing that, and I was patiently waiting for "Super Mario Land 3D", "Mario Kart 7" and "Resident Evil: Revelations" to be released.  
During that lull is when news broke that 3DS sales were behind schedule, the price would be dropped, and early adopters would get 20 free games.  The 10 NES games released without much fanfare from me.  I'd already played them all and wasn't really interested.  Maybe I would've been more interested if they were upgraded to 3D.  Then, the 10 GBA games were released, and there are a couple that were new to me and good enough to warrant my time, but their release was so late in 2011 that they did nothing to spurn interest during that 5-month period.
I've used the 3DS fairly regularly since "Super Mario Land 3D" released in November about 4 months ago.  Along with the retail games I mentioned earlier, I also bought "Zen Pinball", "Pushmo", and "Mutant Mudds" from Nintendo's eShop.  They're all fun games that I spent many hours playing, and I see an eventful future with my 3DS if Nintendo keeps pushing out quality titles.
Along with the games I play, I also spend a notable amount of time surfing the web with it at work, however, I think it's fair to say that the 3DS's web browser and other secondary functions are a bit lacking.  For starters, there's no YouTube support, which, to me, is outrageous.  The "Nintendo Video" app is proof that the system can handle video.  Plus, with YouTube now venturing into 3D content, I think it's a downright shame that the 3DS doesn't support it.  The Wii internet browser supports YouTube, why not 3DS?
Another thing that bothers me is it's limited storage of wifi access points.  Only 3 points can be saved.  Compare that to my iPod Touch which can store what appears to be an unlimited amount, a true convenience for someone like me who doesn't own a cell phone and depends on public wifi to communicate with others while travelling.  
I would never compare my iPod to my 3DS as a gaming platform - I require physical buttons and directional pads, not touch, slide, gyro controls - but Nintendo could really benefit by loosening their restrictions.  With a built-in camera and microphone, the 3DS is just begging for an app like Skype to be implemented.  Granted, I do enjoy Swapnote, but it's limited and doesn't hold a flame against iPod's social apps.  
I hate to say it, because I'm not really a proponent of game piracy, but after seeing what my Wii can do after a soft-mod (stream media from my PC, just like PS3 and 360 can do without mods, for example (and I won't even get started on what the DS Lite can do)), I wonder if the 3DS will ever utilize its potential while being shielded by Nintendo's strict policies.  A few tweaks here and there would go a long way in making it more enticing for those on the fence about buying one.
In short, I really like the 3DS as a pure gaming system, but think it could offer a lot more as a social device.  IMO, Nintendo shouldn't disregard the surging iOS platform, but conceive a strategy and deliver an experience that directly challenges it.

Comments (4)


  • thetruth101
  • 3DS

    Posted: Mar 28, 2012 12:00AM PST by  thetruth101
    I have been on a knife's edge with the 3DS. I love what Nintendo does with its handhelds, but after reading some reviewers complaining about Kid Icarus causing massive hand cramps, along with my absolute love for my Vita I might wait it out until it has a clean and modern redesign. I think this E3 is going to be huge for Nintendo, so I am excited to see what they announce. Nice blog by the way!
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • SamuraiTerry
  • Love my 3DS,

    Posted: Mar 29, 2012 12:00AM PST by  SamuraiTerry
    but Nintendo will never compete against Apple.  Fall quarter of 2011 Apple pushed 80 million units of different iOS defices.  Apple is mainstream and Nintendo is niche. For the little gaming experinece people need they can get it on their phone.  What Nintendo tryies and sells for a full price game on their platform is $1 on my iPhone (Scribblenauts for example).  Hero Academy/words with friends/ Draw something all free and Nintendo can't compete against that.  
    All Nintendo should do is contiune making games for that niche market that I'm a part of.  Give me my Metroids and Pokemons.  I don't need Youtube or Netflix on my 3DS because it only works where I have Wifi.  My phone has all these things and is always connected to the internet.  
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • True

      Posted: Mar 29, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      I agree that Nintendo will never full compete against iOS.  They're two different brands with different identities.  I would argue that nintendo could very well offer games like Words with freinds for free.  What's stopping them?  There might be licensing restricitions or something like that, but why not let Angry Birds release on the 3DS?  It would be win/win in my opinion.
      What I'm arguing for is better secondary features.  I think it makes for a bad image when the 3DS is twice as big as an iPod with double the amount of screens and can't play youTube.  Another example, I wanted to reply to your comment through the 3DS at work, but couldn't because the browser wouldn't display the input box.  
      Lastly, I don't own a cell phone.  I'm one of the few who doesn't.  If the 3DS had better social apps, it could be used to text, recieve texts, a feature my iPod can do through wifi.  IMO, the nly reason why Nintendo doesn't allow this is pure stubborness.  I understand they are trying to maintain their image of being a kid-friendly portable console developer, but come on.  Tech has advanced tremendously in the past 10 years.  There's really no excuse for exclusion of apps on a system that connects to the net.  I think it'd be nice to upload the pics I take on the 3DS to Facebook.  
      Flag | Edit | Delete
    • SamuraiTerry
    • 1up sucks on iOS!

      Posted: Mar 31, 2012 12:00AM PST by  SamuraiTerry
      I love surfing the web on my ipad, but I can't ever comment on 1up though, lol.  
      I totally agree that Nintendo should offer all the things you mentioned. I personally don't care because I do have a iPhone, but I'm sure there is an anudience for people that don't have smart phones that could use some of that functionallity.  I think Nintendo runs into the problem that they are precieved as only a game company where as the iPhone has multifunctionality.  Most people don't want to carry multiple devices. I carry my 3DS in my messenger bag because I love street pass and I work at a high school.  
      After Nintendo just reported their first yearlly loss in 30 years I think they definitely need to revaluate their stradegies.  I wouldn't be surpirsed if someday Apple just bought them honestly.  They have so much money and they could sell Pokemon out the wazzo on iOS.  

No comments:

Post a Comment