Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Ranking the 3D PS3 games I played Mar 17, 2012 2:27AM PST


While firmly strapped into the 3D-gaming bandwagon, I admit that the polarization method used by my TV isn't perfect.  Occasionally, two images of an object aren't properly filtered, or merged, resulting in a faint doubling effect called "ghosting" or "crosstalk".  Or, in other words, one of my eyes is seeing something that should be exclusive to my other eye.  An example of this can be easily demonstrated on a 3DS by viewing the screen off-center and seeing the duplicate "ghost" images.
The tech for polarization is different than that of the 3DS, and results in more permanent ghosting.  By that, I mean I've yet to figure out a way to alleviate ghosting when it occurs during a 3D PS3 game, whereas on the 3DS it only occurs due to off-center viewing.  I tried switching 3D glasses, adjusting various picture controls, viewing from a different angle, yet ghosting persists.  
Depending on the game, ghosting may happen intermittently, always, or not at all.  It seems to happen more often to objects located in peripheral view than in the center, but can still happen randomly to any object in any location.  Also, as I'll touch on shortly, higher levels of detail tend to be the culprit.  I also wonder if different color schemes have an effect.  Maybe the game's code is the reason.  Maybe my brain is the reason.  I really don't know.
At any rate, I decided to rank the handful of 3D PS3 games I played from worst to best based solely on their delivery of 3D effect.  This doesn't reflect how fun I think they are, or anything else other than their 3D visual effect.  3DS games need not apply here, because, from what I experienced so far, ghosting is not an issue.

Prince of Persia: Trilogy
Since this is a re-released set of PS2 games, I expected PoP:T's simpler detail and bright colors to combine for a flawless 3D experience.  I was sadly mistaken.  This game has the most ghosting of all the ones I played, and it's hard to ignore.  I'd play it in 2D if I wasn't such a 3D-head.
Killzone 3
The first time I witnessed K3's fully rendered intro in 3D I nearly had to change my shorts due to soil leakage.  I was completely stunned by the marvelously detailed 3D image.  IMO, it's the best 3D I've yet to view from a PS3 game.  Unfortunately, this high quality doesn't transfer into the playable portions of the game.  K3 's ghosting is almost as bad as PoP:T, and I presume it's due to the complex graphics and color schemes.  Ghosting was evident the entire time, which is a shame, because the game looks great in 2D (which is the only viewing option for split-screen coop.  Grrr...).
COD: Black Ops
Despite it being somewhat low on this list, BO actually delivers a fairly solid 3D experience.  Ghosting is fairly non-existent.  My main knock against it is how 3D affects scope viewing.  It's a great effect, really, but I just couldn't get used to it.  Imagine looking through binoculars that are held a foot in front of your face instead of up against your eyes.  I kept feeling like I needed to plant my face against the TV screen while scoping to properly complete the 3D effect.
Mortal Kombat
MK also delivers a solid 3D experience with little ghosting.  The main problem here is that there isn't much perceivable depth.  Since all the action occurs close up, there's no reason to focus beyond the shallow fighting plain.  Also, the cutscenes in story mode don't support 3D, so switching back and forth from 3D to 2D adversely affected my suspension of belief.
Swords and Soldiers
I was suprised to discover that this downloadable tower-defense PSN Plus freebie supports 3D.  Basically, it's 3D visuals are limited to various depths of 2D objects, like I imagine Paper Mario would look like in 3D.  Despite it's lack of fully rendered 3D objects, S&S is favored over those below it because everything is in 3D and, probably due to it's cartoonish graphics, there's no ghosting at all.
God of War: Origins Collection
GoW:OC would be ranked highest if not for it's random ghosting and 2D cutscenes.  Sometimes Kratos is ghosting.  Sometimes he's not.  Why?  My guess is that color contrast between an object and it's background has something to do with it.  Aside from that, this game looks absolutely gorgeous with various amounts of depth that change with the camera angle, and, IMO, the deeper the better.  
MotorStorm 3D Rift
Slight ghosting is the only nuance that prevents MS3SR from claiming top honors on this list.  From start to finish, everything is in 3D.  Launching a jump off a huge cliff stimulates that high-rise roller coaster feeling as you stare at the ground far below waiting to land.  I see a bright future ahead for 3D racing games of this kind. 
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
This is another game that landed on my PS3 thanks to PSN Plus, and I'm glad it did!  Another PS2 re-release, it's visual style is cartoonish, shows no sign of ghosting, and it's platformer gameplay lends well to 3D depth.  The visuals aren't as detailed as MS3DR and GoW:OC, but the complete lack of ghosting puts it on top.

Comments (4)


  • Midlife_Gamer
  • Dungeon Defenders

    Posted: Mar 17, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Midlife_Gamer
    Is in 3D as well. Not that I have 3D :)
    But it looks like it's designed well for it. Ratchet & Clank All 4 One seems like it would be good too.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • XextralifeX
  • I hear a bunch of people

    Posted: Mar 19, 2012 12:00AM PST by  XextralifeX
    poopooing the 3D in games but I don't understand it. It's just another tool for game makers to get me immersed in the game.  
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • Haters will hate.

      Posted: Mar 19, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      I agree with you.  I like 3D a lot, and play as much in 3D as I can.  I just checked out Crysis 2 and it looks amazing in 3D.  

No comments:

Post a Comment