Tuesday, February 26, 2013

So I beat "Super Scribblenauts"... An (insert positive adjective here) game. Dec 13, 2011 6:30AM PST


In between playing AAA titles like Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land and Skyward Sword, I spent the last 2 months or so chipping away at Super Scribblenauts.  
SS is an addictive game with an ingenius play mechanic: command your avatar through numerous challenges, equipping it with items that you create by spelling them out in a sub menu.  Your only limit is your vernacular and imagination.  If you can think of it, it can be created!  That mechanic itself is so addicting, I spent hours thinking of various items just to see if they would be available.  
For example, one challenge requires the player to put a lion to sleep.  My initial idea was to use a tranquilizer gun.  POOF, a tranq gun appears.   But wait, he's on a tall ledge that a ladder won't reach.  Maybe a jetpack can get me there.  POOF, a jetpack appears.  Equipped with jetpack and tranq gun, I fly up to the ledge, shoot the lion, put him to sleep, and gather my Starite.
A successfully tranq'd lion
Another challenge was to create an extinction without the use of weapons.  Hmmm... what to use?  How about the plague?  POOF, the plague appears.  I apply it to one of the dinosaurs, and they all drop dead, producing another Starite.
Some levels aren't as straightforward and require some deep thinking.  Thankfully, the game provides hints that can be unlocked over a period of time, or by spending points that were collected from previous levels.
SS includes over 100 individual levels, with tons more replay value to boot on top of that.  Many of the levels are "Crown" levels which dare you to beat them 3 times without using the same item twice.  It also allows you to create your own stage and play online.
Hmmm... I wonder what inspired this level?
My only complaint about the game is the amount of "adjective" stages.  They require the player to use adjectives on an object to solve the puzzle, which isn't necessarily bad, but I think there are too many and I prefer the other challenges.
There are other secrets in store that I won't spoil here.  The create-an-object mechanic works great and feels like the tip of a larger gameplay iceberg that's just waiting to be developed.  I recommend Super Scribblenauts to anyone with a DS and a fancy for puzzle games.

What I liked:
The depth of creating any object imaginable is pretty mindblowing.
Tons of replay value.
Some neat secrets to be stumbled upon.

What I didn't like:
Too many adjective levels.

image links: 

Comments (2)


  • V4Viewtiful
  • Yeah, I love this game

    Posted: Dec 13, 2011 12:00AM PST by  V4Viewtiful
    I aways shoot a nuke at a pink dragon while just getting into a time machine in scubagear (it works I swear Smile)
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • RockonDave
  • My son is a Scribblenaut addict

    Posted: Dec 13, 2011 12:00AM PST by  RockonDave
      From what I've seen of it looks like a game I may need to eventually borrow from him =)

No comments:

Post a Comment