Tuesday, February 26, 2013

So I beat "Super Mario 3D Land"... No tanuki were harmed during the writing of this blog. Nov 18, 2011 9:12PM PST


It should be obvious, as per my username, that I'm a Nintendo enthusiast.  When certain new Nintendo 1st party games are released it's big news to me.  I pre-purchase 'em, I play 'em obsessively, and I beat 'em.
I had mixed feelings going into SM3DL due to criticism I read about the game, and the sheer anxiety of waiting for it through dull months of lackluster 3DS originals.  Nintendo has delivered enough gems throughout history to raise expectations through the roof for all their marquee games.  Not only that, it was arguably the 3DS's do or die moment that would either strengthen or sour Nintendo diehards who purchased a 3DS.  That's a lot of expectation for one game, and I waited a few days to write this blog so I could sort through my thoughts and give the game a justified critique.
Tanooki 2.0

It's true that SM3DL borrows heavily from SMB3 - the Tanooki Suit, the flying warships, the BGM - and those are all well and good.  I think the most important element that is borrowed, however, is the overworld structure in both it's similarity and differences.  One similarity is that each level is it's own unique area, and in each one there are two basic goals: reach the flagpole before the timer reaches zero, and collect all 3 star medals.  Also, included in most worlds is an area for simply receiving a powerup from Toad.
Where it differs is that there are no warp whistles, no alternate paths, and no minigames (unless you want to count the purple boxes as a minigame).  In SMB3, a minigame was required to earn a powerup, whereas in SM3DL you just get whatever's in the ? block.  IMO, the exclusion of minigames is notable, as they were a staple in SMB3 and New SMB, and their absence is felt.
I mention the overworld structure as that was the main concept I had to wrap my mind around.  Having a 2D overworld based in a 3D game felt foreign to me.  It conflicted with what Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy 1 & 2 have conditioned me to accept as the norm, and somewhere in that a feeling of grandiosity was lost.  This is what I realized after whizzing through the first 8 worlds.  It's a 3D game covered in a 2D wrapping, and it felt awkward.  Once I made that realization, though, I was able to accept it for what it is.
What it is is a great Mario game worthy of entry into the ranks of its forebearers.  It's the first game of many to come that justifies the 3DS's existance.  While slightly easy on the challenge side, it delivers full blown access yet again into the Mushroom Kingdom.  Like many before me have stated, the game doesn't really get challenging until after world 8, and, in retrospect, I think naming the second trip through those first levels as "Special" is meant to reward and fascinate those who aren't yet familiar with the Mario formula.  Of course the game was going to get harder.  It HAD to.  But to call it "Special" is a bit of hyperbole as they really aren't all that special, just more challenging versions of the first levels.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.  To collect all the puple coins in Galaxy 1 & 2 en route to 100% completion required revisits to levels that didn't change all that much.  This formula isn't entirely new, it just feels different as per the overworld layout.
One of the game's images ripped from my SD card.
Although I truly enjoyed this game, I would like to have seen more bosses and longer levels.  The game does feel short, even if it's a 2D game mirrored to be 3D, but I overlook that as it's a handheld game.  And that reminds me of one more point: I'm not sold on the advantage that 3D visuals offer in this game.  There were maybe 2 or 3 rooms that had optical illusions in which 3D gave a slight enhancement, but overall the entire game can be enjoyed and played to completion in 2D.  IMO, 3D is more a novelty than anything else, and I won't be upset if it remains that way, because I rather enjoy it.

What I liked:
Amazing graphics.
Tight gameplay.
Lots of fun.

What I didn't like:
Seemed short.
No minigames.
3D necessity is overhyped.


Comments (7)


  • ForteII
  • I liked this review

    Posted: Nov 18, 2011 12:00AM PST by  ForteII
    The balancing of pros and cons made up for most of the writing and it sounded very fair (to me).
    (Geek note:  Props to the writer for writing "tanuki" like it should be!)   Tongue out

    On a different note (please excuse the digression):  As someone who tends to like the Mario games that deviate much from the established formula, a la SMB2 (I know...  I'm capricious like that), I was just wondering whether you would recommend a game like Super Mario Sunshine or perhaps Luigi's Mansion to a person like me.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • Thanks for the compliment.

      Posted: Nov 20, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      As to your question, I would recommend Luigi's Masion ahead of Sunshine.  LM is just so completely different than any other Mario game.  In fact, it's really not a Mario game.  It contains characters from the Mario universe, but the gameplay is nothing like Mario.  Sunshine, on the other hand, is definately Mario, albeit tweaked by the water-spraying mechanic which slows the action down at times.  Honestly, I would recommend both games because they are fun, high quality games.
      Flag | Edit | Delete
  • Chunopo
  • Just finished it myself

    Posted: Nov 20, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Chunopo
    There's so much to love but I can't help but feel that they could have done more. I also totally agree with the over hype of the 3D, it certainly made things a little easier in sections but not as much as many reviews made out. I adore SM64 and that games is an absolute pleaser to play on the 3DS, thanks to a decent analogue stick, there are times in SML that I really wish they had taken in a little more inspiration from mario s n64 outing, for some reason I automatically assumed mario would be able to punch! Something this games missed. I know it seems like a small point but add the amazing scale, incredible hub world and sheer enjoyment of exploration was in my opinion always going to be the way forward to really showcase the console. I do agree with your good points too however, I definitely had a little fun but I just wish it could have lasted a bit longer.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • I didn't realize

      Posted: Nov 23, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      this was the first 3D Mario where Mario shrinks to small size until you mentioned it.
      Flag | Edit | Delete
  • SamuraiTerry
  • What was your play time?

    Posted: Nov 22, 2011 12:00AM PST by  SamuraiTerry
    I don't go to the next world until I get all 3 gold coins and hit the top of the flag pole.  I'm in speciai world 4 and my play clock says 20 hours.  Just curious=D  
    Nice write up.  
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • 16:27

      Posted: Nov 23, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      I got all the star medals, but neglected to reach the top of each pole, which I'm now doing.  Also I read somewhere that to unlock the very last level (by earning 5 stars on your profile) each level must be beaten by both Mario and Luigi.  I question that, though, as I already have 4 stars and still haven't hit every flagpole.  I have about a dozen more to get.
      Flag | Edit | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • Update

      Posted: Nov 23, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      the time I quoted isn't accurate.  I looked at the time in my in-game stats (that actually shows the last time in military time when I played) instead of the game log on the system.  Unfortunately, others have also played the game, so I don't have an accurate time to offer.  I will say, though, that I finally got all the golden flags, and that last level is a SOB!

      For what it's worth, my game log showed 24 hours, but a couple of those hours could be shaved off due to others playing the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment