Tuesday, February 26, 2013

19 - Blast to the Past: PS2 Mar 22, 2011 12:00AM PST


After a brief hiatus I am back to continue the blog.  I took a break from the computer for a couple of days, something I like to do when I've spent too much time staring at my monitor.  I do, however, recognize that I breached my BaD for 30 days contract, and humbly return my payment in full.  Now, on with the blog...
Ah, the PS2, the most generic console to ever hit the market.  Generic name.  Generic look.  Generic controller.  Too bad the games weren't generic, or it might've been a complete flop.
As you may tell, I'm not much of a Playstation fan.  It's entry into the market was a move of practical business strategy.  There's no rich back story to it.  It has no mascot, at least none that I recognize.  Its success was sustained by exclusive 3rd party development.  It's like the "Jersey Shore" of consoles, existing and succeeding due to great marketing and word of mouth, but lacking true talent at its core.  Nevertheless, if one wants to enjoy a full pallette of gaming goodness, one must own a Playstation.  That's why I plan on buying a PS3, sometime around the year 2017.
But, I digress.  The PS2 was actually a decent console, after I figured out which side to properly set it on to keep the disc drive running properly.  
Anyway, the console is merely a medium to deliver software, and the PS2 cranked out some gems.  It was during my ownership of the PS2 when, due to lack of time and interest, I began to tailor the types of games I would consume.  No more militaristic 1st person shooters.  No more RPG's.  No more Madden.  Coincidentally, this eliminated about 90% of the quality titles released on PS2 from ever reaching my living room.
There was that one must-have game, though, that prompted me to buy a PS2 in the first place.  I just had to have it.  I had to live out my urbanite gangster thug fantasy,  I had to own "Grand Theft Auto 3".
While 3 may be considered the weakest GTA entry on PS2, next to "Vice City" and "San Andreas", it's the only one I played all the way to the end (I just didn't, and still don't, have enough time to play through all the games I want), and why I choose it as my favorite PS2 game.
I didn't know what to make of it at first.  I tried approaching with moral hygiene intact, deviating only as per plot demands.  I would drive the speed limit, between the lines, avoided running over pedestrians, or killing them for a few bucks.
 It was just a matter of time before I'd start driving into them full speed to see how far their body would launch in the air.  Nothing beats carjacking a mofo, pulling forward a few feet, gunning it in reverse, running them over to death to ensure that that carjack was the last memory of their pitiful static life, then tuning into Lazlo's talk radio show to hear his latest goofy rant.  Those were good times.
GTA3 brought sandbox gameplay into the mainstream with brute force.  The setting was organic.  Liberty City felt like a real city.  I was pushin' it to the limit seven days a week, and couldn't get enough until the very end.  

Comments (2)


  • BrokenH
  • Many fond memories

    Posted: Mar 22, 2011 12:00AM PST by  BrokenH
    It's my favorite System Dave. I'd say the PS2 continously had great releases and many of its' games tried new things within their genres. Granted there were a lack of fpses on Sony's behemoth but because I wasn't ga-ga for COD or Halo anyway I didn't mind much. If you were an action platformer junky or RPG fanatic the PS2 was the right choice!
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • I hear you, Ben.

      Posted: Mar 25, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      I do appreciate what Sony did to expand the market.  Their practical licensing guidelines made entry into the market more feasable and affordable for upstart developers.  My complaint is that Sony, as a 1st party software developer, never really offered anything substantial.  Also, it was during the GC/PS2/Xbox generation that my investment in gaming took a back seat to other callings in life, so I admit that my perspective from then on isn't as well-rounded as previous generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment