Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My thoughts on PSN Plus It's been a month. Here's what I think about it... Feb 24, 2012 7:18PM PST


I've been a member of PSN Plus for about a month now, and I've found it to be a rewarding experience for one main reason: free content.  Well, they're not exactly free, because of the yearly fee, and not all of the games are that exciting, but the sheer amount of games is where the value lies.  In the past month alone I've downloaded 2 dozen games, a collection comprised of PS Mini's (downloadable PSP games), PS1 games, PS3 games, and rereleased classics.  

PS Mini
Hungry Giraffe
A Space Shooter for 2 Bucks!
Stickman Rescue
Mecho Wars
Orbit 

PS1
Syphon Filter 
Syphon Filter 2
Syphon Filter 3
Final Fantasy V

PS3 
Back to the Future Episodes 1-5
Swords and Soldiers
Far Cry 2
Hamster Ball
Inferno Pool
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Fueled Battle-Cars
BattleFantasia
Fatal Inertia

Classics
The Simpsons Arcade Game
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Streets of Rage 2
Golden Axe
Comix Zone
Altered Beast

I wasn't expecting all of this available content.  There is a catch to it: most of this content is only available during the subscription period, which is Sony's way of retaining their subscribers.  It will probably work on me, because I like seeing what's available from week to week, even if only a handful of games actually hold my interest.  Overall, it's a neat way to try out games I wouldn't have otherwise, and I like it.
Cloud access for saving games is another feature, one that I currently have no need for and don't utilize.  I understand that XboxLive also offers cloud access, so this feature is rather moot from a competitive standpoint.
There are other perks I've yet to take advantage of - free themes, avatars, discounts on certain PSN Store items - but the bottom line for me is the free games.  I just didn't expect so many of them!

Comments (6)


  • Urethra_Alfredo
  • Dude...

    Posted: Feb 24, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Urethra_Alfredo
    ...how nuts was the whole month of February for Plus members?

    I finally relented and signed up for PS Plus last month after finding out that Sony was giving away all five Back to the Future episodes to members.  As a die-hard fan of both point-n'-click adventure games from the 80's/90's and Back to the Future in general, it was just the incentive I needed to get a subscription.

    But February brought me a day-one freebie of The Simpsons arcade game, which was a title I had been hoping would be released for home consoles ever since I was a little kid.

    The nostalgia kept coming with five awesome Genesis ports (there were six in total, but Altered Beast was a disappointing arcade conversion even in 1990).

    Also, two full retail games in the form of Far Cry 2 and Battle Fantasia?  Madness.

    Granted, I'm aware that I don't really own any of these free titles, and when my subscription lapses, so does my ability to access the freebies.  Regardless, getting to play full versions of games that I may not necessarily buy/play otherwise is pretty awesome.  Far Cry 2, in particular, is a game I would have never have sought out on my own, yet am damn glad to be playing through.

    I tend to do a lot of my game purchasing via PSN, so I'm hoping the discounts will be applied to worthwhile titles in the future.  If that's the case, this subscription will end up paying for itself in no time.


    Al in all, I'm quite impressed with PS Plus, and am looking forward to seeing what Sony has planned for March.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • the game I've played the most

      Posted: Feb 25, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      is Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Fueled Battle Cars.  I've put at least 20 hours into that game.  It's a good example of a game I wouldn't have even thought of trying out if not for PSN Plus.
      Flag | Edit | Delete
  • kof4life
  • thanks

    Posted: Feb 25, 2012 12:00AM PST by  kof4life
    The info was very useful. I guess I need to upgrade to plus. 
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • Midlife_Gamer
  • Plus

    Posted: Feb 26, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Midlife_Gamer
    I've been a plus member for over a year. February's titles - who could have guessed that the MahJhong and Pool titles (having not played any game versions before) would be that fun? That's one of the nice elements of the Plus. BTW, be sure to hit the Playstation Blog website, as they list each week the titles that may have been permanently discounted but don't pop up in the new store lists.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • cschultziv
  • About that cloud saving...

    Posted: Mar 13, 2012 12:00AM PST by  cschultziv
    On the XBOX you can only save to the cloud OR the system.  You can't save to both.  Is it the same for the PSN version of that?  Can I save to both the cloud AND the system?

No comments:

Post a Comment