Tuesday, February 26, 2013

6 - The Singularity of 2045 Mar 04, 2011 4:17AM PST


Last month Time magazine ran an article entitled "2045: The Year Man Becomes Immortal".  It outlines how the rate of technology advancement is increasing at a steady curve, and that 2045 is the year in which AI will be superior to that of humans.  It will mark a time when machines will be able to recreate themselves both physically and intellectually.  The notion is that when this occurs, humans will no longer be the dominant species, and a wave of major conscious change will transform the global mindshare.
This also means that by that time we will presumably have a way to create our own Matrix-like reality.  We will somehow be able to upload our conscious into a program of some sort and continue to exist there articifially for infinity.
My first argument is about whether or not a machine can exhibit a true human conscience.  I understand that a binary code can emulate such a thing, full of logic statements and communication cyphers, but could it really think on it's own?  Could such a machine develop morality?  Sense of self?  I mean more than the if/then statement of "if I exist, then I'm alive", "if my aluminum alloy appendage is ruptured, then I'm in pain", or a basic moral code similar to something like the ten commandments.  Sometimes the rules need to be broken.  Could a machine make it's own desicions?  Could it love, hate, or be jealous?  Would it drive past 55?
Next, I challenge the idea of humans being capable of achieving immortality, even in an AI scenario.  I'm not saying that I wouldn't enjoy it, I just doubt that we will somehow be able to transfer our minds onto a computer chip.  I'll believe it when I see it.
As for robots being able to reproduce themselves on their own, I believe that's possible.  I've seen my share of dancing robots and mainframes win at Jeopardy to see that glimmer on the horizon.  It's a coming.
And as for singularity, I think there are some people who have already acheived that mindset.  What we endure today is a battle of the mind and spirit, and there are those who've already transcended that, at least to a working degree.  Nobody is perfect.  I'm sure even Buddha had a bad day every once in a while.  I think the question is can singularity of the mind be achieved across the board.  For this, I am doubtful.




Comments (1)


  • BrokenH
  • Dave

    Posted: Mar 04, 2011 12:00AM PST by  BrokenH
    Computer viruses reproduce. Glitches in code can create whole new patterns. We're getting pretty close to this paradox!
    Btw I really want to get Singularity. Been hearing it's pretty good and Raven studios has rarely let me down! (You're talking about the true terminology but there's supposedly a great sci fi FPS bearing the same name. lol.)

No comments:

Post a Comment