Tuesday, February 26, 2013

So I beat "Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus"... Mar 26, 2012 8:13PM PST


"Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus" is a PSN Plus freebie I snatched up a few weeks ago.  It's the first Sly Cooper game I played, and I rather enjoyed it.  This version is a PS3 remake that features 3D, which is a welcome bonus for me.
SC is a traditional 3D platformer with a cartoonish presentation, which I imagine, given the game's easy difficulty, is targeted for kids.  The objective is to guide Sly Cooper through 5 worlds and recover pages from his ancestor's journal called "Thievius Raccoonus".  Each recovered page grants Sly a new ability, some of which are necessary to continue through later stages of the game.  Included with the platforming levels are a few racing, twin-stick style shooter, and stationary FPS shooter levels that help break up the monotony.
Excellent cartoonish presentation.
Combat is pretty straightforward.  99% of the non-boss enemies are killed with one hit from Sly's cane, the one exception being an enemy who breaks apart into 2 pieces that must be hit again.  Sly, too, is killed with one hit, but can earn an extra 2 hits in the form of horseshoes that are collected in rare spots or by collecting 100 coins.  After Sly earns a 2-hit golden horseshoe, any 100 coins collected after that grant him an extra life.
Although the game is fairly easy, I found the presentation to be exceptional.  "Sly" feels like its own world, with unique characters and quality voiceovers.  That's what made it enjoyable for me.  It's a throwback to a genre that's all but dead in modern gaming, an appreciated change of pace from current generation's complexity and realism.  The 3D effect is spot on with no crosstalk whatsoever.  Plus, if you're a trophy collector, "Sly" offers a fairly easy platinum which can be obtained the first time through.

What I liked:
Old-school 3D platformer feel.
It's in 3D.
Occasional shooter and racing levels add variety.

What I didn't like.
Nothing.  This game delivers exactly what it's meant to.

image links:
http://spawnkill.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/sly-feature.jpg

Comments (7)


  • ForteII
  • Yes!

    Posted: Mar 26, 2012 12:00AM PST by  ForteII
    Thanks so much for your thoughts. Now I'm getting the  Sly Collection  for sure.  This and  Rayman Origins ...  I need more awesome  Cartoon Characters  on my PS3!!   Laughing

    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • Wakkawipeout
  • Did you like

    Posted: Mar 26, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Wakkawipeout
    The final area with all of the lava everywhere?  I thought that was a fun change of pace especially once you got on foot and there were a bunch of rails to grind.  They even incorporated that mechanic into the final boss fight which I thought was cool.  Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the game.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • Yeah

      Posted: Mar 27, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      It's definitely the hardest stage in the game, as it should be.  Climbing that sinking tower was a pain in my arse.
      Flag | Edit | Delete
  • Epic Greenman
  • I'm playing through this right now

    Posted: Mar 27, 2012 12:00AM PST by  Epic Greenman
    It's a lot of fun. Really hope Sony gives the other two free on PS+.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • SamuraiTerry
  • Playstation Plus is awesome.

    Posted: Mar 27, 2012 12:00AM PST by  SamuraiTerry
    I think any gamer could honestly make it by with just this single purchase every year.  I never played a sly game before, but after reading this I look forward to getting to it.  Thanks. 
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • thetruth101
  • Sly Cooper

    Posted: Mar 28, 2012 12:00AM PST by  thetruth101
    What a series of great games. I really want to replay them on PS3 along with the Jak trilogy. I'm envious that you got to bask in their revamped 3d glory. I'd like to see them port some to Vita as I would have even more time to play in that fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment