Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Had an 11-hour Spontaneous Co-op Marathon Last Night Playing This Game. (12-18-13)


BOOM BLOX Bash Party!


Normally, I reserve game blogs for games I fully finish, because I think hyping or dissing a game before it's fully explored is dishonest and an injustice to the reader.  After 11 hours of notstop gaming, though, I think I'm qualified enough to praise BOOM BLOX Bash Party.
I'd played the original BOOM BLOX and liked it a lot.  I believe the core gameplay of demolishing stacks of blocks by Wii-waggling virtual baseballs, bombs, etc toward the screen and watching the damage unfold speaks to a dormant base instinct inherent in men: the desire to destroy.  DespiteBOOM BLOX's cartoon appearance and relatively harmless arsenal (compared to war games likeBattlefield), the thrill of launching projectiles and watching the chain reaction of carnage never gets old to me.  And the structure design of blocks stacked on top of another makes finding critical weak points a comfortable keep-it-simple-stupid success story (or KISSSS).  No matter how complicated the puzzles appear to be at first, the path the developers intend for you to take usually becomes evident pretty quickly.  I like that approach, as opposed to, say, Catherine, which gets ridiculously hard despite it's fairly simple control scheme.


Last night's 11-hour marathon initiated by an unplanned synchronistic culmination of various forces.  I was hungry for some co-op.  It was early in the day.  My buddy is competitive.  But what kept us playing all night was BBBP's blend of simplicity and intuitiveness.  It nails motion controls, and dishes morsals small and different enough to keep you hungry for more.  It's like eating M&M's and each one is better than the last.
There's more to Boom Blox Bash Party than knocking down blocks.  Sometimes you build structures.  Sometimes you shoot cannons and lasers.  Sometimes you pull blocks.  Some styles of play are better than others, and most in this game are really fun. 
We laughed.  We cheered.  We communicated and cooperated .  That's the way co-op should be.
11 hours later we'd already completed co-op and were taking turns in single player mode.  We eventually peeled ourselves away, though, when the sun was rising and its rays, which beam right into the room, threw our Wii's RF signal out of whack.  
I rarely game that long in one session anymore, and I doubt I will again soon, but I definitely recommend Boom Blox Bash Party.


image links:
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgVobC-BpoGQH4fqD22Zc9vwaNrLDljOe_wsL_BBEUesxB18PyeQtn7tiVxb4hb5de1G6xMt4ua9L_xSjM0DaS7DcGlGCgwX_MftFou0Fcs03AVg0wSWEqIFYeqmb2G9Jt-u4M9im_pyEOq/s400/custom_1243007207294_BB1.jpg






Comments (2)


  • XextralifeX
  • Very cool

    Posted: Dec 19, 2012 12:00AM PST by  XextralifeX
    I remember playing the heck out of the first one with my neice and nephew.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • SamuraiTerry
  • Enjoyed the 1st one.

    Posted: Dec 25, 2012 12:00AM PST by  SamuraiTerry
    Looks good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment