Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Preordered my Wii-U Posted: September 15, 2012


I spent the time since WiiU's announcement preparing for the official release date.  During that time I was able to store enough trade-in credit at Gamestop to pay off 95%, and was able to leave there the other day with that perorder and a down payment on Resident Evil 6 for less than 20 bucks.
While I should be celebrating the fact I'll be getting a WiiU on launch day, I couldn't shake this somber feeling I had.  There will be no camping out, waiting in long lines, or numerous phone calls to local outlets in search of that last available console.   There will be no holding of the bladder or bowels until I've established a solid enough repoire with others in line who will vouch for me when I can wait no longer and actually do have to step away.  There will be no random encounters with similarly minded gaming fans who just so happen to be carrying their DS with them, too, and multiplaying portably until the morning hour in which the store's computer system will officially allow the console to be sold, even though we all know they're right back in the storeroom.
Another factor is that I'm the only person I know not only getting one on launch day or at all, but the only one even talking about the WiiU.  With the Wii, word of mouth was so strong that I knew 3 or 4 people who were buying one right after I got mine, and, after that, each new release for the first few years was a big deal.  Heck, my friends and I take Mario Kart so seriously that we started the game early by racing to the store to see who would get there first to pick up MK Wii.  
I don't see that happening this time around.  I think that the tablet/phone/PDA market will make it's presence known in this console generation, not in terms of gameplay experience or price, but time. Large amounts of time is being spent by gamers and non-gamers alike on other devices and can probably already fill their day with entertainment from wake till sleep.  It won't be about the price, which is half that of an iPad, or quality, which IMO boils down to choosing between buttons or tap-and-drag, but time.
In short, there will be no real life adventure in it for me, and I will miss that.  But, hey, I could be wrong, and at least I'll have Nintendo's newest to enjoy for the holidays!

Comments (5)


  • JxNamelesss
  • I pre-ordered one too

    Posted: Sep 15, 2012 12:00AM PST by  JxNamelesss
    I liked the Wii, it was great to play with a group of people.
    If I do like the Wii U, then I'll keep it...if not then I'll give it to my cousin.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • octoberfleshed
  • Same here

    Posted: Sep 16, 2012 12:00AM PST by  octoberfleshed
    I went on Gamestop.com first, then looked on Best Buy's website in order to put it on pre-order, much to my surprise I was able to get it delivered from Best Buy for free.  I guess I was lucky, too, because apparently it sold out (both the Deluxe and the standard).  To be fair, the internet has shaped the way we game and consume, but I agree it would be a heck of a lot more fun to wait in line at launch instead of getting it a few days later with zero hassle, in some ways, but then again, I'm a busy guy :p. 
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • thetruth101
  • I didn't preorder one

    Posted: Sep 16, 2012 12:00AM PST by  thetruth101
    But I feel the sentiment of what you are sharing. It really is a shame that there is not more buzz about the Wii U. Even though I want Nintendo to prove itself to me before I take the plunge (As I usually decide on Nintendo systems) I remember there was Wii madness before it dropped. There is hardly any words of crazed excitment about the Wii U or any of that. Only time will tell, but I am looking forward to hearing more about it!
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • XextralifeX
  • I don't know

    Posted: Sep 17, 2012 12:00AM PST by  XextralifeX
    man I read somewhere I think it was GAF that pre orders at for Wii Us had been sold out at Gamestop or Amazon. So I'm guessing a whole bunch of people are excited for the system. After Capcom's announcement the other day. I'm now very interested in getting one but not until March.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • FAF101
  • haven't pre-ordered

    Posted: Sep 18, 2012 12:00AM PST by  FAF101
    My plan was to wait to ask for it for X-Mas....but I have the feeling that may have been the wrong decision and may just ask for it for my birthday or wait a year to get it. I know first thing I need to get my hands on is a Vita. So maybe next year i'll get one or when I have some extra money I can splurge. I have heard it went really fast though with pre-orders and is sold out in a lot of places already.

No comments:

Post a Comment