Tuesday, February 26, 2013

16 - Blast to the Past: Dreamcast Mar 17, 2011 12:14AM PST


As far as console names go, Dreamcast wins best of show.  It's too bad Sega's powerful console wound up being their last.  Sega struck paydirt with the Genesis, but from that point on made many console release miscues.  The Dreamcast was released into a market firmly dominated by Nintendo and Sony, and with Microsoft entering the picture, it didn't stand a chance against these 3 tech industry behemoths.  The unfathomable pairing of Mario and Sonic featured in the same game, let alone on the same system, would soon become a reality.
Although the controller was a bit cumbersome, I liked the idea of the VMU memory packs.  I'd like to see video screen implementation become standard on all future controllers.  The Wii remote has audio, so I guess we are just one step away.
There were a few great games on the Dreamcast that complicate my decision of choosing just one as my favorite.  There was "Shenmue", a neat adventure that took forklift driving simulation to new heights.  Then there was "Resident Evil: Code Veronica", featuring the Redfield siblings, tying up some loose ends in the original RE plot.
However, the game that tickled my fancy above all others was "D2".  This game, with its unassuming title, was pleasantly playable and demented.  I'd call it a cross between "Resident Evil", "The X-Files" and "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".  Although somewhat repetitive during exploration, I couldn't wait to reach the next crazy cutscene.  Also, playing in the setting of snowy Canadian mountains gave it a feeling of authenticity as most other games are set in the past, future, dark cavarns, outer space, and other generic landscapes.

Comments (2)


  • BrokenH
  • The mythical rare unicorn amongst consoles

    Posted: Mar 17, 2011 12:00AM PST by  BrokenH
    Never had a Dreamcast. But a few friends did and I envied them!
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • Raised_on_Nintendo
  • I got lucky

    Posted: Mar 17, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
    My GF's daughter had one, and I eventually inherited it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment