Tuesday, February 26, 2013

So I beat "God of War 3"... The trilogy is complete. May 30, 2011 9:33PM PST


I beat GoW 3 over the weekend, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this trilogy from beginning to end.  I basically played whenever I could, beginning with GoW 1 on through 3.  The game made such an impression on me that I also watched "300" and "Clash of the Titans" during that timespan.  The story does splinter a little bit from game to game, but each sequel gives ample reference to it's predecessor to retain a consistent feel.  Despite the difficulty in some sections, the game never felt cheap or repetitive. 
The quality of this game prompted some thoughts in general.  With graphics this good, do the high end machines (360/PS3) really need an upgrade in the next couple of years?  How much more can graphics and audio improve?  Theoretically, someone could play this game from beginning to end without dying and not see a single in-game loading screen.    I can't remember the last time, if ever, I witnessed such a smooth transition between levels in a disc-based game.
I recommend this game and series to everyone who owns a PS3.  It's a must-play.

What I liked:
Epic battles with Poseidon and Chronos
Excellent graphics
Seamless loading

What I didn't like:
Hermes dash feels tacked on
Not being able to unlock trophies while using godly possessions during second play-through

Comments (6)


  • himura_drew
  • Beaten GoW3 but...

    Posted: May 31, 2011 12:00AM PST by  himura_drew
    Have yet to play GoW 1& 2. Haha I know it sounds funny but my PS2 was out of commission during the period those games were released and at that time I stayed off gaming (shift in priorities) so I missed out. Thinking of picking up the HD remastered editions though if I can muster the time to play (my priorities are sort of shifting again from gaming). 
    But yeah, GoW3 was epic. Perfect showpiece game for the PS3. :)
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • Archintyeron
  • I've...

    Posted: May 31, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Archintyeron
    ... started playing GoW series recently, but I still in the final battle of the first game. I actualy can't even think this game is beatable in hard mode. Those damn clones are awfully annoying... Yell
    Flag | Reply | Delete
  • BrokenH
  • On the series

    Posted: May 31, 2011 12:00AM PST by  BrokenH
    GoW 2 won out with awe inspiring area designs, improved gameplay, and epic bosses but I enjoyed the story more in GoW 1. To me Kratos was more likable when his quest began but by GoW 2 he was a narcissist cry baby bully with a chip on his shoulder. lol. Maybe he went back to a better disposition in GoW3? I dunno, haven't played it yet.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • 3's story is much like 2's

      Posted: May 31, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      He's out for revenge, wants to topple Mt. Olympus, etc.  I think maybe the delivery of the story was a little better this time around.  I agree that part 1 has the best story.  That game is just epic all around.
      Flag | Edit | Delete
  • JabezDawz
  • In Terms of Graphics

    Posted: May 31, 2011 12:00AM PST by  JabezDawz
    Graphics are a weird thing to think about. I remember playing things for ps2 and thinking HOLY MOLEY THIS IS AMAZING
    Halo 2 on Xbox was gorgeous, it looked better than most of the 360 launch games. Right now, it seems things are truly as real as they are going to get. Uncharted 3 on the horizon, Heavy Rain, GoW 3 All of these games look as close to real life as we can get.

    Itll be interesting to see what future generations bring
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo
    • Agreed

      Posted: May 31, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      It's a situational thing that has to be experienced to fully grasp.  I believe graphics will top out within the next 10 years.  I imagine it will be like controlling movie-like quality CG rendered environments in real time.

No comments:

Post a Comment