Tuesday, February 26, 2013

"Skyward Sword" first impression. Also, Vizio 47" 1080p 3DTV first impression. Nov 23, 2011 3:22AM PST


I finally had some quality time to spend with "Skyward Sword" and put about an hour into it.  My very first impression was that Link felt stiff.  I kept running too fast (without dashing) and missed doorways, ran into walls, fell off ledges, and had to really try and line up my path to properly roll into trees and collect the fallen rupees.  It's going to take some getting used to.
I had to temper my patience while searching for clues as to the whereabouts of my Loftwing as I knew that searching around aimlessly at the beginning is the free-roaming tutorial that gets us acquainted with the controls.  I wanted action!  Although I had to wait a bit, I was glad I had to bump around Skyloft as it did indeed reveal some basic techniques that have been remapped since Twilight Princess.
Other doubts were creeping forth until I entered the first cave by the waterfall.  The graphics were great, and I loved swinging the sword around in different directions.  I eventually rescued my Loftwing, went through the flying tutorial, and saved my game.  I'm still just inches into the game, and I think I'll be okay if I can just get used to Link's new feel.
Ultimately, I think Skyward is going to be a blast.  It does have one glaring knock against it, though, albeit more the result of new circumstances in my home theater and not really the fault of the game itself.
My rear-projection 52" TV was having color convergence problems, bad enough that games were becoming unplayable, especially if text was located on effected parts of the screen.  Although it is 720p, it never really had a crisp contrast to it.  I decided it was time to upgrade, and I went out and bought a 47" 1080p 3DHD flatscreen by Vizio.  The difference in picture quality is night and day, especially when viewing the PS3.  Unfortunately, the Wii's graphics never looked so bad, and it's kind of a letdown.  I knew the Wii was only 480p, and, yeah, PS3 games always looked better on that blurry rear-projection TV anyway, but now the Wii's graphics look totally last gen.  I'll still play through Skyward and enjoy it, but let's just say that I'm glad it's the last major release on the Wii and can't wait to buy a WiiU.
As for the TV itself, the 3D is fantastic!  I watched "Sanctum" in 3D and was rivoted, much like seeing Avatar the first time.  The two 3D-enabled games I tried on it - Mortal Kombat and COD:BO - run well in 3D.  I'm on the 3D bandwagon with full force, and hope more companies release 3D enabled games.  IMO, they should all be in 3D.  Isn't it about time?

Comments (12)




  • Pordiogamer

  • have you tried....

    Posted: Nov 23, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Pordiogamer
    the HD LINK COMPONENT cable? I've been trying to get one but not so sure it really improves the wii's visuals
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • V4Viewtiful

    • It does

      Posted: Nov 23, 2011 12:00AM PST by  V4Viewtiful
      everything does look noticably sharper, my TV does 1080p the cable should be cheap on amazon or ebay now

  • V4Viewtiful

  • the worst thing about SS

    Posted: Nov 23, 2011 12:00AM PST by  V4Viewtiful
    you pretty much nailed it, sometimes the lack of control is annoying plus the fact you have to run off a ledge in order to call a bird when dropping should yeild the same result. it takes about an hour of story before you really start to play the game were as in other zelda games like Majora's Mask it's within 20mins.
    I was thinking of getting a projector one day but i don't want to pay over £150 for one (about $250)
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo

    • I hear projectors are sweet.

      Posted: Nov 23, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      They are different from rear-projection, though, which are actually hard to find nowadays,  The price was right when I bought it some 5 years ago and flatscreens were going for big bucks.  
      Flag | Edit | Delete

  • Sleep_it_Off

  • control problems

    Posted: Nov 23, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Sleep_it_Off
    i had the same issue with controlling Link when i first started playing this, but it goes away. i got used to it within an hour. i think i'd attribute this to the fact that i haven't played a 3D zelda in forever.
    also, the knight academy where you start is pretty small and enclosed. maybe that could attribute to Link feeling too fast? later on the running speed feels about right, because some of the areas on the surface are just so huge.
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo

    • Good point

      Posted: Nov 23, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      @ enclosed confines of the Knight Academy.  I've yet to leave Skyloft, so I'm sure the controls will feel more natural in an open environment.
      Flag | Edit | Delete

  • SamuraiTerry

  • It took me about 5-8 hours to get use to the controls.

    Posted: Nov 23, 2011 12:00AM PST by  SamuraiTerry
    Skulltulas were killing me.  SKULLTULAS!  The more you play it the more you learn the nuances of the controls.  
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • Raised_on_Nintendo

    • lol

      Posted: Nov 23, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      That's good news to me, because although it was revolutionized in Ocarina, I thought the combat was getting too easy and rehashed in recent Zeldas.  I'm looking forward to some serious battles later on!
      Flag | Edit | Delete

  • octoberfleshed

  • Learning curve?

    Posted: Nov 25, 2011 12:00AM PST by  octoberfleshed
    So would you say there is a steep learning curve with the controls?  I'm okay with that, however, will it be as frustrating as some people are asserting, or do you think that it's kind of just them not really being warm to the idea of motion controls in the first place?
    Flag | Reply | Delete
    • V4Viewtiful

    • That depends mostly on you

      Posted: Nov 25, 2011 12:00AM PST by  V4Viewtiful
      Most of the time during the fighting the mistakes are mine because i rush instead of thinking, and when you run with concentrating you'll run off the edge of stuff (the 1st hour felt like a RoadRunner cartoon Undecided).
      Once you learn how to use the other controls it becomes second nature (for me anyway)
    • Raised_on_Nintendo

    • I agree with V4Viewtiful

      Posted: Nov 25, 2011 12:00AM PST by  Raised_on_Nintendo
      I'm about 5 hours into it and it feels natural, although I still press B instead of A to shoot the slingshot from muscle memory of past Zeldas.

No comments:

Post a Comment